>>But now the folks in Marketing want to export the data and then import it
back into the database.

That sounds dangerous. ;)

I had a (somewhat) similar request a while back. Where a company wanted to
generate sales reports from the DB. So instead of giving them data dumps, I
used Access as a front end to the (Mysql) DB using MyODBC. So they could run
reports all day long on the live data and not bother me. It was read only
btw.

You might export it to a holding table while they edit the data and then
rename the tables when they are done. I know that you can use access as a
front end for MSSQL as well.

Just a suggestion.