Ok....

encapsulation is not a rule that you need to adopt, to its fullest. It
is a guide.

If I choose to use the application scope to reduce memory, and not
duplicate varables that is my choice of design. Encapsulation doesn't
take that into consideration, however frameworks that are around do.

I am not going to debate the pros and cons of such a guideline.

users need to make up their own mind on what best suits them. In such
frameworks as Coldbox and MG:U for example I would use that framework
to retireve the information. However if the application I design
doesn't require that complexity, then I can and will use the
application scope inside a cfc.

It is legal and legit, and its my choice to minimise memory in that
manner if I or any developer so choose it.

--
Senior Coldfusion Developer
Aegeon Pty. Ltd.