you can run MySQL in  NO_BACKSLASH_ESCAPES mode: see chapter 5.2.6 in
MySQL ref manual

there's more in the Appedixes:

This SQL mode also can be enabled automatically when the server starts
by using the command-line option --sql-mode=NO_BACKSLASH_ESCAPESor by
setting sql-mode=NO_BACKSLASH_ESCAPES in the server option file (for
example, my.cnf or my.ini, depending on your system).

there appears to be no jdbc connector option to change this behaviour,
so have to do in server config/start...

hth

Azadi Saryev
Sabai-dee.com