I think you need to move your second query out of the select statement and into
the join section of the query.

This chunk of SQL goes and gets the most recent ElementStatusHistoryID by using
a GROUP BY and uses it to join in the table at that one row that it finds with
the GROUP BY.

Hope it helps.

SELECT c.CatalogID, c.CatalogName, c.currentStatus, ct.*, e.*,
es.ElementStatus, es.ElementStatusDate, es.UserName
FROM Catalogs as c
LEFT JOIN Elements as e ON c.CatalogID = e.CatalogID
JOIN CatalogTypes as ct ON c.CatalogTypeID = ct.CatalogTypeID
LEFT JOIN (
        SELECT MAX(ElementStatusHistoryID) as MaxESHID, ElementID
        FROM ElementStatusHistory
        GROUP BY ElementID
) as maxESH ON (e.ElementID = maxESH.ElementID)
LEFT JOIN (
        SELECT ElementStatusHistoryID, ElementStatus, ElementStatusDate,
UserName
        FROM ElementStatusHistory
) as es ON (es.ElementStatusHistoryID = maxESH.MaxESHID)
WHERE c.CatalogID = #val(URL.CatalogID)#