I managed something decent for an in-house only project.  The labels
were UPC stick-ons for inventory.

Since the format of the label was fixed, all we needed to do was fill
in the blanks with ColdFusion.  I used MSWord to design the label,
then exported it to RTF.  The ColdFusion variables were dumped into
the rich text to fill in the blanks.

When the user clicks on the 'Print Labels' link, the RTF file opens
up in the browser, but the MSWord plugin steps in to render the RTF.
Everything is exactly positioned, so the user just hits Print in IE
and MSWord does all the dirty work.

Very nifty, but it requires that MS Word be installed on all clients.
 Failing that, PDF is probably your best bet, but that's a lot less
programmer-friendly...

Best regards,
Zac Bedell
Zachary S. Bedell,
Chief Technology Officer,
Adirondack Technologies, Inc.

Please include original message in any replies -- I get a
lot of email every day, and I have a REALLY bad memory...
So I don't always remember everything that was said.
Thanks!