So how do ISPs and other companies handle storing credit cards?   I
get regularly charged by several companies, not all of whom would be
large enough to have dedicated IT departments.     Are they storing
the card details and hoping for the best?

I know there are big billing companies who would be expected to have a
pretty serious security environment - Plimus comes to mind there - i
have 3 accounts for different vendors with them -   but conducting a
monthly business that bills clients monthly would be impractical if
you couldnt store credit card numbers.

For my own hosting company, I keep credit card details in a totally
off-line system that never touches the internet. But without being
able to bill monthly, hosting would not be viable as a business.   I
would like to have a much better arrangement   - it's highly
inconvenient having to bill the cards the way we do.   I'd like to be
able to automate it some how.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month