Thanks Dave this is exactly the kind of kick-start I need on this as it is
all new to me at this point. These utilities are running on windows server
2003 standard w/CF7 standard at the moment. I have full access to the box so
this should help speed things along for me I would think. Currently I have
107 users/physicians using these utilities and I don't see that list getting
much longer for now. Any suggested reading on this would help out here as
well since I am so new to this, so anything you can recommend would be a
good thing.

Thanks!

Bob

PDF supports digital signatures to sign and certify documents. Certification
prevents the document from being changed; if the document is changed, the
certification breaks. Signing simply attests that the user with that
certificate did in fact interact with that document at a specific time,
providing nonrepudiation, etc.

To use digital signatures, each signer will have to have a certificate
installed locally. You can either purchase individual certificates for your
users, or you can create a certificate infrastructure. Your certificate
infrastructure can be completely internal, or it can be based upon a root
certificate from a public certificate vendor like Verisign. If your
certificate infrastructure doesn't have a public root certificate from a
third-party vendor, you will be able to verify signatures within your
organization, but when you pass a signed PDF to someone outside your
organization the certificate will not verify for those external users -
it'll still show the document as signed, but the signature itself will be
unverifiable.

If you have a Windows server infrastructure (AD, etc), you can add a
certificate authority (CA) server to that fairly easily. This will allow you
to generate and issue client certificates to all your users very easily.

If you have a fairly small number of users, you could simply purchase
individual certificates for them to use directly. These are about $20 per
user per year. Verisign has a specific certificate product for PDF signing.

You can build a server interface for programmatically signing PDFs using the
Adobe LiveCycle ES rights management server. This can be integrated with
other LiveCycle products to build a workflow process that includes digital
signatures.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/