On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 6:26 AM, Loathe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> There are several well known ways of generating word documents, xml,
> html with cfcontent/header, and I hear POI although I haven't used it.
>
> I have a need to be able to create a word document and do page
> numbering, and have access to the header and footer to add letterhead
> and document classification information.  I'm wondering if anyone can
> point me towards a solution that does this other than CF Report Builder?

My stock answer is "JasperReports".  iReport is the visual designer,
and it's quite nice (destroys the Report Builder, IMO).

It has it's own XML format for creating reports, which is swell for
use with some kind of code generator.

Building PDFs and word docs and whatnot can eat up a lot of CPU cycles
on a loaded server, so I started using JasperServer on a separate box,
and just talk to it through the webservice it provides.

It exports reports in PDF, RTF, XLS, CSV, and jasperserver will do
auto-email stuff, so every Tuesday you can automatically send someone
a report, or whatever.

We've had great experiences with this setup.  YMMV.
-denny

--
Dave: We're in a warehouse, and you just hit a cow. I think we better back up.