I think you're nearly there, Rick.    Just make sure you are following
the rules about how to set out paths for components:

if your component is in
e:\inetpub\webroot\c21ar\components\agents\agent.cfc   and the web
root is at e:\inetpub\webroot\c21ar,  then you would invoke the
component with the following: ("Instantiate" is another term that
confused me at first - how is 'instantiate' different from'invoke'?
answer:  it's the same thing)

<cfset agentLibrary = createObject("component","components.agents.agent) />

Note the following:

[A] the component does not have .cfc as part of its name in the
createobject function.
[B] the path to the component is either a relative path from the page
calling it, or from the web root.    Best to use the path from the web
root that way if you ever move the pages calling the components
around, they'll still work.
[C]  the path is expressed in dot notation, not using slashes.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month