CFDEV wrote:
> I am using CFIMAGE to read CLOB data from an oracle database and then write
> it to the browser for the end user to view.
> My thought was that the "writetobrowser" attribute will be creating an
> instance in memory therefore the file is not written to the file server.
>
> is this true?

No.

> If so, after the image is displayed in the web browser, by viewing the
> properties of the image, it is shown as:
> /CFFileServlet/_cf_image/_cfimg[xxxxxx]
>
> Am I correct in assuming that the file is being written to the file server
> within that area and then viewed by the browser?

It isn't written to the file server, it is written to the cfusion
server, to the /WEB-INF/cfusion/tmpCache/ directory.

> As well, how long does the CF Server maintain the image (just for the
> request or is it there until the server restarts)?

It is removed after a while by an internal scheduled task.

> Now to throw another monkey wrench into the whole schema....
> How effective is this within a Load Balancing configuration?
> Is the image generated on SERVER A and then the request is moved to SERVER B
> for the remaining requests (all one single web transaction),
> and then the image is no longer viewable since the end user is now on SERVER
> B but the image is on SERVER A?

The image will not be viewable if the request for the image is directed
to another CF instance. The only way to solve that currently is to use
sticky sessions. (http://adobe.com/go/wish/ to make the cache location
configurable just as it is for cfchart.)
All tags that require 2 or more subsequent HTTP request have this problem.

> Our goal is to display the images from the database without the need to
> write them to the file server and run a cleanup process afterwards..

Are you concerned with performance or complexity? The solution builtin
to CF does not solve the performance issues with writing / deleting, but
it does solve the complexity problem.

Jochem