Raymond Camden wrote:
> Why not just save the image? I generally recommend folks only use
> writeToBrowser for testing. Yes - you can generate images on the fly
> and show them to the user. But if you get any kind of load you really
> want to start saving those images to the file system.

Thinking about it, that's probably not the worst idea.

My initial thoughts were that my data was changing more often than it
actually is. I wanted to be able to serve up the latest-and-greatest,
without having to do a file-write every time. But - I suppose instead I
could simply set up a scheduled task to go through, query the DB, build
and write all these images out once or twice a day, and throw in some
extra code to check if there's been any significant changes in the data
since the last scheduled run, and go ahead and write out a fresh copy of
a given file if need be...

The bandwidth is going to be the same, whether it's written right to the
browser or served up as a normal file, as well.