Don,

You do it using ajax (referred to as 'auto-suggest'). There many different
ways on how you can do it.

One implementation is by using CF with jQuery.  Check-out the following:

http://www.dyve.net/jquery/?autocomplete
http://jquery.bassistance.de/autocomplete/demo/

Most auto-suggest is done by simply looking up a corresponding field lookup
to a database field record.  But you can get real fancy with the query
depending on what you need.  Example: when you type in: Harrison Ford- it'll
return the titles of his movies- that kind of thing.

Hth,