thanks Qing, getting there now!!! after what you said i commented them out one
by one and it only fails when it gets to the last column which is:

and qu_82_tb_89_split_0_split_T_Ht = 142.2;

so i then used a function i got from cflibs called queryColumnTypes and found
that the column is a 'Real' data type. would this have something to do with it,
i cannot work out why this is Real instead of a double or decimal - it is a
float in the database when i first queried it, so does cf convert them to a
'real' and do you think this is the cause

thanks