Either one works.  Allowing .htaccess files has performance
implications, since a filesystem scan must be performed and the config
directives parsed every request.  Using httpd.conf all that happens
exactly once, at server startup.

..htaccess is really only for situations where you want people to be
able to control certain aspects of the server config, without giving
them access to the main configuration files, nor allow them to restart
the Apache daemon.  In other words, .htaccess is pretty much only for
if you don't have access to httpd.conf.  If there is a choice between
the two, httpd.conf is the right one.

cheers,
barneyb