From: Claude Schneegans [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 8:38 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: (ot) URL Hack Attempt Leaves Me Scractching My Head...

 >>Bottom line: ***always*** use cfqueryparam.  Period.  There are no
acceptable "exceptions to the rule".

Even with something like
UPDATE myTable  SET myDate =  <cfqueryparam value = "#now()#" CFSQLType =
"CF_SQL_TIMESTAMP">?
OR this:
UPDATE myTable  SET myValue =  <cfqueryparam value =
"#someOtherQuery.someOtherValue#"  CFSQLType = "CF_SQL_INTEGER ">?

Just ridiculous.

OK, it "improves performance", if you care about micro seconds, but there is
no security aspect here.
The increase of performance can make a significant difference only for very
big queries or very repetitive code.
As the docs says: "Bind variable usage enhances performance when executing a
cfquery statement multiple times."
Otherwise, the advantage is only for security purpose,... and there is a
risk only for variables set by a visitor.
If the content is set by your CF program itself, where is the risk? It is
like putting a lock on an empty box.
Personally, I care mode about code readability than useless security.

--
REUSE CODE! Use custom tags;