You need to change your cf server (and webserver) to process pdf files
through coldfusion. That will allow application.cfc/.cfm to fire before the
pdf is loaded.

(there are better ways, including using cfcontent to push the pdf content,
but i will answer the question you asked, instead of throwing other ideas
in)

Assuming you are using cf8 and iis (maybe a bad assumption, but a place to
start), I _think_ you need to change the web.xml file in
cfusion\wwwroot\web-inf to handle pdf files, and change iis to allow cf to
handle pdf files. (copy the way they both handle .cfm files, same settings,
and you will be fine).