Well I guess I'm glad I am not the only one dealing with this.  I implemented

<cfif cgi.query_string contains "DECLARE%20">
    <cfheader statuscode="500" statustext="Server Error">
</cfif>

at the top of /Application.cfm and that stopped it dead in its tracks,
but not before spiking my custom logging app and turning my weekly
sales response figures to oatmeal.  A little spit and polish fixed
that.

One client had about a 3-day love affair with these bots before they
went away.  They made a mess of his error logs when the non-conforming
data hit cfqueryparam but otherwise no noticeable effect.

I think if I was still actively in the contract programming scene I
would find the person propagating this and... pin a medal on them and
shake their hand.  This one attack has caused a whole slew of folks
who thought I was a PITA crank over-obsessed with security to call me
up, apologize and thank me.  If I was still taking clients I'd have
just doubled up my dance card.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Janitor, The Robertson Team