Our testing confirms your suspicions; a duplicate() seems to perform
better than re-parsing the XML string.

We went with duplicate as a quick fix for our framework; if we find
something better, we'll let everyone know.

I voted for a fix in CF and I encourage others to do the same:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

******BUG******
Concise problem statement:

XMLSearch() is not thread safe.

Steps to reproduce bug:

 1. Create XML object in a shared scope like APPLICATION.

 2. Search the object with different XMLSearch() xpath expressions in
multiple requests at the same time under significant load.

 Results: Null pointer errors, incorrect search results.

 Expected results: correct searches, no NPEs.

--
mxAjax / CFAjax docs and other useful articles:
http://www.bifrost.com.au/blog/