Andrew, your initial point (that you made redundantly clear by way of
caps and repetition) was to never use subversion to move code to
production. You then make your detailed case that demonstrates your
reasons not to. I agree, in your situation you would not do so. But I
fail to see how you can be blind to the fact that not everyone will be
in the same, quite horrid by the sound of it (different code per
server...), situation. Your arguments for never using SVN in
production appear to boil down to:

1. If it is not needed to have the Application run then it should not be there
2. Think of the poor blighters who may inherit your app and are
confused by extra data

In a situation where using SVN to deploy to production made deployment
a great deal easier, faster and more reliable, you could argue that it
is helping the application to run (perhaps several hours or days
before it would else have been). Future developers will only be
confused if the processes aren't documented or they don't read the
documentation thats there.

I am currently working in an environment where we do merge and merge
and merge, etc and we do NOT use SVN to deploy to production; probably
rightly so. But I have also been in much simpler environments where
using SVN for deployment has made life so much easier and given
confidence in the version of the live application. I am 100% confident
that using it to go to production in those scenarios is NOT going to
turn around and bite me some day. Neither of the above arguments
suggest otherwise.

I'm sure people interested in this topic would appreciate it if you
could add to those points concisely, points that are not case
specific. ie. Reasons never to use SVN in production:

1. If it is not needed to have the Application run then it should not be there
2. Think of the poor blighters who may inherit your app and are
confused by extra data
3. You will be shot if you do...

etc

Regards,