Separate methods might make sense if you need to do this from more than one
method. If it is specific to that method it might not be worth breaking it
up.

Be aware though that inserting a record and then selecting the MAX id can
result in an incorrect ID if more than one thread runs this code at the same
time. You'd probably be better off getting the last inserted ID from the
cfquery itself if you are on CF8, or looking at using a native database
function like scope_identity() (the actual function varies across
platforms).

A bit more can be found here:
http://www.forta.com/blog/index.cfm/2007/7/6/ColdFusion-8-Can-Return-Identity-Values