You said FoxPro which leads me to believe you might be running on Mac or
Linux. Does FoxPro have case-sensitive column names?

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Claremont [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2008 10:00 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Flummoxed bya simple query

This is a new one for me. I have been querying the same database for years.
I have hundreds of queries working on this very database on a daily basis
without issues. Today a new request came in to access a field that I have
not needed to retrieve before.

Mcaidrecda (Medicaid Recertification Date) is a field in the BasicInfo
table, which is part of a FoxPro database designed by a vendor.

The following query completes just fine:

SELECT *
FROM BasicInfo
WHERE IDNo = '5183'

And yes, I know that the use of asterisks in a query is not good practice. I
am trying to troubleshoot here...

I do a CFDUMP of the query, and the field I am most interested in, namely
BasicInfo.MCAIDRECDA, shows up as expected in the CFDUMP, along with all of
the other fields in the table.

HOWEVER,

When I rewrite the query as follows:

SELECT IDNo, Mcaidrecda
FROM BasicInfo
WHERE IDNo = '5183'

I get an error saying that Column 'MCAIDRECDA' is not found. It happens when
I remove the WHERE clause, too.

When I open the database table (a FoxPro table), the Mcaidrecda field is
very clearly there, and this is supported by the first test (CFDUMP) shown
above. Why can't it see the field when the query is written the second
way??? I checked and triple checked my spelling of the field names, etc, and
all is well.

The reason this is important is because I want to set a WHERE clause based
on the Mcaidrecda field, but it stops cold and says the field does not
exist, even though I have proven time and again that it is most certainly
there.

SOMEBODY tell me I am missing the obvious here....

BTW: CF7