> the user still has to explicitly choose a file value to put into it

And that's good...the user should know exactly what they're uploading
and be able to control that.

However, if I want to take responsibility to designate an entire folder
of files for upload, I should be able to do that, too.  Not just one file
at a time, but choose the folder and all its contents.

Why not?