Are you sure that SharePoint when going to the URL via the browser is not
picking up the user already  being authenticated? If using IE typically
SharePoint will see who you are but if using FireFox I believe it always
prompts to authenticate, so that might be something to test out because it
could explain why the CFHTTP is failing to authenticate.