In order to get the number of days in (for example) 2 years, 2 months
and 2 days, you can do one of the following.

1. Assume a year has 365 days & a month has 30 (It doesn't and this will
not work correctly for your situation)
2. Use a start date. This is preferable since years, months and days are
measures of time.

Without 2 reference points (Start and either time or end date), you
can't measure correctly.

For example, tell me the miles between Chicago and some other city that
is unspecified. You can't because to measure something (distance, time,
etc), you need 2 points. Start and End (or one of those with the
distance between one or the other).

If you are good at math, it's like me asking you to find for x in the
following problem..

x=y+?

See our point? :)