Richard,

There was a ton of discussion on this just recently - maybe on CFCDEV - so
there might be a bit of validation fatigue out there.  On the upside, you
should find rich pickings in the list archives.

Basically both of your proposed solutions sound fine.  If there was a
consensus (not sure if there was), I think it would go something like:
1. Your instinct to remove the reusable validation logic from the controller
is sound.
2. Putting it in the service is OK
3. Breaking it out into a separate validation object is also OK, and maybe
slightly preferable.

Jaime