I've never had performance issues with nested sets, though I've not
used them in an app with super-heavy updates like you describe.

Update performance is bound by the number of nodes in the tree, of
course, so if you have 400 sites with 100 trees each, but each tree is
only 50 nodes, it's the 50 that matters, not the 40,000.  I don't know
what your estimated tree size is, but that'd be the question to ask,
rather than the horizontal scaling.  It would be easy to do some load
testing to see what the results would be with different tree sizes.

Though if you care about the performance of the event responses, the
bennies of nested sets on the front end might be worth a a little lag
on the back end.  Totally app/customer specific, of course.  And make
sure you have fast disks.  DB IO has been the limiting factor (not RAM
or CPU) on the last couple apps I've worked on, and optimizing that is
a bitch.

Don't know if that helps, but I wouldn't rule our nested sets without
some good numbers. I've found MSSQL to be lickety-split, in general.
Though now that I'm thinking about it, you might run some load tests
with adjacency lists for storage (fast update) and recursive CTEs for
recall.  I haven't done recursion that way a whole lot, but the few
times I've used it, I've been quite pleased with performance, even
with fairly large, deep trees.

cheers,
barneys

---