I'm reviewing the features list on the next version of my CMS, and I
want to do a better job of handling archiving this time around.  The
way i'm doing it at the moment is pretty clunky and rolling back to a
previous version of a page is far from straightforward and intuitive.

Can anyone point me to a resource that could give me some hints on how
i should design that part of the app?

Or alternatively, could anyone give me some advice on how i should do it?

I have a PageFramework table that contains things like page title,
expiry date, UserID, date created, access restrictions,   and also a
Content table that contains the text/imagenames, etc for content
elements inside the page.

Each time anyone creates PageFrameworks,  Content,  or modifies either
of those,   it first copies the record it's about to modify to
PageArchive table or ContentArchive table,  giving it a version number
that's an increment of the version it already has.   Then it goes
ahead and processes any updates that are required from the current
operation.

Is this the best way to do it?     That ContentArchive table is
getting pretty large, and there is a new version of a page even if the
only change is a comma added.     So if this current change is done
with several steps, or multiple saves during the update process,
rolling back to the last published version of hte page means looking
through a whole lot of archived pages searching for the one that was
on line earlier.     As I said, it kind of works, but it's not very
easy to use.

How do you  CMS authors handle this issue?

--
Cheers
Mike Kear