I'm not sure about fusion-reactor, but the product SeeFusion does a pretty
good job of staying de-coupled from Jrun and CF.   Usually it will respond
up until the JVM dies.
Perhaps fusion reactor has a feature similar to seefusion's active monitor
rules.  you can have triggers shoot you an e-mail that show you all the
running request and a stack dump at the time the server is slowing down.

A full thread dump of your JVM can be a little crazy.  Just stick to the
threads named jrrp-xx (I think) Those are the threads related to actual web
requests.  Most of the threads won't be doing anything.  The ones you are
about are the ones processing files.
That is most helpful at a time like yours is to see specifically what
requests are running and exactly what those specific requests are doing.
That will help you narrow down all the stack trace stuff.

IF you have something like an endless loop, you will see the threads stuck
on the same like of code over and over as you pull a stack trace.  The trick
to reading a full thread dump is usually just looking for patterns.  Anytime
you repeatedly see a file/function coming up during your thread dump that is
a sign you need to inspect what that code is doing.

Please paste a dump from a single thread that you don't know how to read and
we will point out the important pieces.

~Brad