Ravi,

He can use an empty string '' if he does not want to use a NULL.

Your suggestion, to set the database to default to NULL would only apply
if he was doing an INSERT.

Now think about this

What if the alert (in the database) was "Help Me"

Now he is on his form, he deletes help me to be empty in the text field,
and he wants this change to be reflected in the database.

With what you are suggesting, it will remain "Help Me" if he wipes it
out of the text field (or whatever he is using) since it would not update.

Thanks!
Robert Bailey