How can you display a variable within a variable?

I have a client who needs to control the content of all email notices that go
out to their clients.

Email notices have some dynamic content such as grabbing customer name or
account details. The value of the email notice content is stored in a variable
called #emailContent# and I would like it to have a value of something like
this (where it contains varibles within itself):

"Dear #customer#,

Email content email content...your account expires on #expiryDate#."

However, when the variable #emailContent# is outputted within a CFMAIL tag the
variables #customer# and #expiryDate# just get shown as is with the hash marks.
How can I output the variables within the variable?

Thanks!