On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Dan Crouch wrote:
> Our ColdFusion server is feeding mail to our local SMTP server on the same
> box. We had trouble with some clients saying they were not getting our mail.
> We started using a third party that is set up as a smart host for us in the
> SMTP so CF sends the mail to the SMTP which sends the mail to the Smart Host
> and they then send it on to the client. That took care of the delivery issue
> and gave us the ability to see detailed logs to confirm delivery.

I don't understand the problem. It is just a matter of setting the
right DNS records and making sure your mailserver identifies itself
correctly in the HELO. Why do you need an external party for that? The
only reason I can imagine for needing an external smarthost is if your
IP address is in a disreputable neighbourhood.

Jochem