Hi list,

in our freshly build Java B2B-Shop-Customer-System (build from scratch, based
on Hibernate. Spring etc.) we have
four adresses in the MS-SQL-DB (MS-SQL-2000): contact_address,
company_address, delivery_address, billing_address.

In the end-customer's registration process the following happens (in case the
customer says that the delivery_address + billing address is being
assembled out of the contact/-delivery_addresses and doesn't have to fill it
seperately):

a) contact_address is stored first -> ok
b) company_address is stored first -> ok
c) delivery_adress is stored from the data of the company_adress
d) billing_adress is stored from the data of the company_address

My Java-developer is trying to tell me, that this is not possible. He
mentioned the following: in part c) Hibernate recognizes, that the
object which is the most recent is older than the stored version in
the DB. The same happens when it comes to part d).
And he mentions that this is a Optimistic Concurrency Control problem.
(see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimistic_concurrency_control )
I told him that with ColdFusion, PHP and other scripting languages
this shouldn't be a problem, since you can store the data in server or
clientside variables/parameters. He replied, that this isn't possible with
Hibernate. This irritates me, since it would be a major problem, if
we have to change the business logic of this shop-feature feature from
ground up.

Any ideas ? Does anybody know of another good (Java)-forum where I can post
this question ? Thanks !!

Uwe