On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 12:52 AM, Mike Kear wrote:
> @jochem,   the reason you have to do the copy

I understand the technical challenge in implementing the workflow. My
question was more related to why you would want the workflow to work
the way it does.

> Hosting companies (including mine) take daily backups

Hourly in our case :)

> certain it's a brilliant idea to rely 100% on that  - Murphy's law
> says that if  anything goes pear shaped and i need to go back to
> backup, that'll be the day that something went wrong with the backup
> process and there's no backup available.  (I'm a belt and braces man -
> i like to have a backup plan to my backup plan)

What you could do for that scenario is create a linked database from
your local MS SQL Server installation. Then you can simple write a
stored procedure that does:
INSERT INTO backup..table
SELECT *
FROM linkedserver..table
Put in a loop over all records in INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES and you
have your backup solution.

> Then as i develop things,   frequently there are database changes,  so
> I change the dev version,   build my code and test it,  then copy the
> database to the production.

We always put a hook in onApplicationStart() to read the schema
version number from the database and if the database schema is out of
date it will run the SQL scripts to update the schema.

Jochem