+1 for jMeter.  It's not *too* finicky...

Coupla nice features worth mentioning:
1. You can set it to either remember or forget cookies.  With cookies on,
you can script a whole login sequence and use that as your load test.  With
cookies off, you can stress your server with 50,000 live sessions in the
blinking of an eye.
2. The test scripts can read parameters out of a comma-delimited file.  If
you point the above-mentioned login sequence at a file containing a bunch of
user accounts, you can get the worst of both worlds and have 50,000 live
*authenticated* sessions.

Kind of fun.  Your server *will* crash - but do you know when? (cue spooky
music).

Jaime