We set up our db server with two nics, one that only connects with the
app server and one that doesn't have any external routing but is only
reachable through a vpn for management. I consider that just good
practice regardless of the information you are storing. HIPAA
compliance is a nebulous beast but to my best knowledge the basic
setup I've described will satisfy it. Much bigger questions start to
come in though when you talk about user access to data, authentication
schemes, audit trails, etc.

Judah