I want to be able to add a new virtual host to Apache without causing any
disruption of service to the other web sites.  Sending the SIGUSR1 signal to
the parent PID of Apache will cause it to do a graceful restart which is
mentioned in the Apache documentation as doing the following:

"The USR1 signal causes the parent process to advise the children to exit after
their current request (or to exit immediately if they're not serving anything).
The parent re-reads its configuration files and re-opens its log files. As each
child dies off the parent replaces it with a child from the new generation of
the configuration, which begins serving new requests immediately."
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/stopping.html)