cflib has a function called "demoronize".  some rich text editors have a
special "paste from Word" button that attempt to clean up the "smart quotes"
and other crappy MS characters.
however, it's been my experience that neither these (nor any other automated
method that I've heard of) is bulletproof.

If the people cutting and pasting are in a controlled environment, you could
make an effort to get them to turn off the 'smart quotes' in Word.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a good (easy) solution.  But give the
demoronize function a try (
http://cflib.org/index.cfm?event=page.udfbyid&udfid=725).  Maybe it'll work
for ya.  Or maybe it'll at least work "enough".