On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Kenny J. Willis
<k...@alliedinformationresource.com> wrote:
> This seems to be a very short sided tag <cfpdf>.  Why allow to
> discreetly protect files and then have no way to display them.

cfpdf is a _server_ side tag. It modifies the setting of a PDF file.
If you want to _view_ it w/o a password that is a client side thing.
How do you view PDFs now? Either w/ Acrobat or Preview (on the mac) -
a client side application.

>Very
> frustrating.  What about the read action of cfpdf?  Why couldn't I read
> the file then dump it (for lack of a better word) to the client?

PDFs aren't text. They are binary data. They must be viewed with a
client side app or browser plugin, and that tool has been engineered
to say, "If protect, ask for a password."

> If
> this is possible, I would like to know how. I have looked at the read
> function and all it gives me is a wrapper and when I dump it it gives me
> the file info, which is supposed to be another function of cfpdf (action
> = info).  The information I am dealing with is extremely sensitive and
> should not, cannot be copied or unprotected - at least from my side to
> the client.  Sorry for the rant, just need to solve this as soon as
> possible.

What you are asking for is not really reasonable though. You want to
publicly show a password protected PDF w/o a password. That doesn't
really make sense.

-Raymond