Not using connection pooling, in our environment, significantly slow
down all process, and increases overhead to an order that eventually
will bring a server to a complete non-responsive state. Basically, you
end up tying up every available active thread request with long running
DB requests, and the inactive thread pool 'overflows', to the point that
active requests will complete, but inactive threads never transfer to
active status.

Steve "Cutter" Blades
Adobe Certified Professional
Advanced Macromedia ColdFusion MX 7 Developer

Co-Author of "Learning Ext JS"
http://www.packtpub.com/learning-ext-js/book
http://blog.cutterscrossing.com