>Question for anyone that handles SQL Replication: What effect would
>setting up transactional replication from a large Windows 2000
>database (17 Gb) with moderate usage (18-20 max simultaneous
>connections) to a Windows 2005 server have on the performance of the
>Windows 2000 machine?
>
>The reason behind the question - We use Microsoft Dynamics GP with 4
>different SQL databases housed on a  SQL 2000 server.  We are building
>a web application to query those databases (read only) as well as
>store some data that they are not set up to manage.  It uses a SQL
>2005 server.  Right now the app is running slow because the queries
>are running through the SQL 2005 as a linked server.
>
>My thought in speeding things up is to set up replicated copies of the
>4 databases on the SQL 2005 server.  This would be a transactional
>replication so we have instant access to any changes made in the main
>system.  Additionally, the remote possibility of an injection attack
>running back to the live Dynamics databases would be removed.
>
>Our worry is that setting up the replication would place a noticeable
>strain on the main server, something we cannot afford to have.
>
>Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?
>
>Thanks!
>Hatton

I have had an opportunity to work on sql replication technology with sql server
2005 standard most recently.  It is not easy but doable.  Your second paragraph
on the NEED for it was also echoed by some replication guru.  Your third
paragraph touches on the requirements a bit more, which sounds like it's a
unilateral replication (one way).  Your fourth paragraph about concern of its
performance, or probably latency, in my experience of merge replication
(bidirectional) with a small network, it could be up to 1 minute or even longer
for server to servers (one to many) full "sync", but your case could be server
to client (one to one) I think so it would be faster.

Approach-wise, I took/used the GUI/Wizard tool first to get everything working
and then created and organized scripting to automate the process, which seems
to work fine.  I've also "play"ed with trasactional replication a bit and got
it working as well but too bad I didn't have time to document it, it's supposed
to be easier than merge.

hih,

Don
Chunshen Li