I can add in my two cents, although it probalby isn't the complete list.
The 'variables' scope is for local, or instance variables.  They only
exist during the execution of the page which they are created (I.E.
with a CFSET, for example).

  There is also the URL scope.  (Is that a type of instance / variable scope
variable?)  It's for variables passed int he URL.

  I would imagine that Query would also be an example of an instance
variable, since Queries don't exist beyond the page that creates them.
Anyone have any other thoughts?