I'm trying to pass the results (2 lines of text) of a url to a variable without
directing the browser to that url.

I'm working with a university system that has a central authentication system.
You can force users to login by directing them to something like
http://secureserver?url=yourwebsite.

Once users login it redirects back to your page and you receive a url ticket,
which you then have to verify with the server through a url such as
http://secureserver/verify?ticket=url.variable&website=yourwebsite.

The response of the server is to the browser.  It's either simply 1 line "no"
or 2 lines "yes" and on the second line "username" where username is the
authenticated user's username.

So, to my original question, is there a way I can save this 1 or 2 line
response to a variable without directing the browser there?  I would love
something as easy as a cfset, but I have no idea how you would basically set
the results of a URL as a variable.

I would settle for being able to save the results as a text file or inserting
them into a database and querying it back.  But I can't simply use a cflocation
because then the user sees the results and is not directed back to my website.

I am, of course, checking with university services, but CF is not their
favorite tool.

Any help is appreciated!  Thanks in advance.