Nobody else mentioned it yet, but I had something similar happen many
years ago - a link checking program was accidentally run on a
password protected area of the website and did a lot of funny things
to our database..

  ever since then, I never use a link to make a change in my
database. It is just too easy to trigger it by accident.
   I changed everything to use forms, or where that is not practical,
javascript with a confirmation, in such a way that if javascript is
disabled, the link can't work.
And I always log every change made, (a copy of the old data, new
data, user who changed it, datestamp, IP address of user)   so in
case of problems, I can reverse the damage (in addition to insanely
frequent backups to multiple locations)

As a bonus,  I use this log to display the last 10 changes made on
the website in my footer... so for example, when entering checks
received, the user can see the last few things he entered and if
there was a mistake, he can easily go back and edit it.  Takes some
fear out of computer illiterate people if they know they can fix any mistakes.