By default, if the user enters

x y

to search, Verity treats it as a phrase. You can modify their search
by changing any space to a comma. So "x y" becomes "x,y". Although I
think you want an AND search, so you could simply change any space to
" AND ".

You can see more on this in the CF Dev Guide, chapter 28, Using Verity
Search Expressions. Specifically the section "Using simple queries."