Ah, we are at cross wires! I was citing the java method as a possible
reason for the function only ever returning true (or my suspicion that
it never returns false, in response to Adrian's question) - not for it
returning a boolean (which of course it does). Perhaps pre-6 it did
sometimes return false, though as David points out, CF has
traditionally followed this pattern so quite probably not. The docs
may have changed their wording to reflect the wording in the javadocs,
if indeed that is the method that is being used.

Anyways, I wonder if the OP has found his solution yet ;)

Dominic