> I'd want to see some pretty solid benchmarks before I
> believed that the Java written by CF is 200 times slower than
> the Java written by a random programmer.

The 200 times difference comes from my own comparison of the same domain
model implemented idiomatically in both ColdFusion/ColdSpring/Transfer and
Java/Spring/Hibernate.  Similar experiments conducted by colleagues give
similar results.  Mark Drew did some testing with a totally different
scenario, but the results are in the same ballpark.

Not sure why you'd find this surprising.  Java code to solve a given problem
isn't remotely similar to the bytecode that CF spits out for the same
problem, unless that problem happens to be interpreting a dynamic language.
The fact that they are both "Java" is far less significant than the fact
that one is dynamic and the other static.  There have been similar results
from comparisons of Jruby and Java, and Groovy and Java.  We're not talking
about 20% or 50% performance differences, we're talking about orders of
magnitude.

Jaime