From: Ian Skinner [mailto:h...@ilsweb.com]
Sent: Monday, March 16, 2009 10:37 AM
To: cf-talk
Subject: (ot) FTP and the ports it uses for data.

HISTORY|BACKGROUND
I am in the process of reworking a ColdFusion and Oracle 11g
application.  At one point this application sends some files it
generates to another server with FTP.  For various reasons, the FTP is
being done with the Oracle database management system.  Thus we are
running into the 'ACL' Access Control List security feature that is new
to Oracle 11g.

If you are unfamiliar with this feature, Oracle 11g now blocks all HTTP,
SMTP and FTP access to any other servers from PL/SQL code unless a ACL
entry is created that defines what user can connect to what server with
what protocol to what port range.  A pretty cool concept actually as it
really locks down the server so that it can only do what the developer
wants it to do without completely giving up these occasionally very
useful protocols.

PROBLEM
The trouble we are having is what ports are used for the FTP data
transfer.  These ports need to be defined in the ACL otherwise the
process will be blocked by Oracle, but as far as we can tell just about
any of the 65,000+ ports can be used for data transfer.  I am unfamiliar
with FTP server administration so how can one determine or define what
range of ports can be used for data transfers?

TIA
Ian