Thanks  guys,   some useful tips that led me to this ...
http://ttcfm.open.ac.uk/~bs3578/test1/abEmpAssets.cfm

<CFquery name="qEmpAssets" datasource="bs3578" >
    SELECT  concat(e.firstname, ' ', e.lastname) AS eName,
            LEFT(a.assetdescription,30) AS aTitle,
            c.assetcategory AS cCategory
    FROM employees e
    INNER JOIN assets a ON e.employeeID = a.employeeID
    INNER JOIN assetcategories c ON a.assetcategoryID = c.assetcategoryID
    ORDER BY e.lastname
</CFquery>

width="30%"> Category </th>
         <CFset LastEmp = "*" >
         <CFoutput query="qEmpAssets" >
           <CFif  VARIABLES.LastEmp  IS NOT  trim(qEmpAssets.eName) >
                 <CFset VARIABLES.LastEmp = trim(qEmpAssets.eName) >

             <CFelse>
                 <CFset  #qEmpAssets.eName# = " " >
           </CFif>
    </CFoutput>