> Heh, well, it *is* considered bad practice

Of course, browser-specific treatment is bad, but if (for some reason) you
can't avoid it, this seems cleaner and more readable than other methods?

> user agents can be  spoofed and often are, as well as hidden or stripped

I'd argue that if (e.g. Opera) users want to say "I'm IE", then they can be
treated as such - if that causes styles to screw up, it's their own fault.

Likewise, if a browser [doesn't support standards and] is purposefully trying
to hide its identity, again, own fault.

Possibly a bit harsh (especially if the latter is due to dumb "security"
admins/software), but since most of these differences are either browser flaws
or relatively minor tweaks, I think it's a fair stance. :)

> If you've got a lot of rules specific to Firefox or Safari, then
> something isn't quite right.

Hmmm... depends how you define "a lot", I guess.

And whether you count -moz-* or -webkit-* stuff too - since it's technically
engine-specific but of course doesn't apply if the browser doesn't support it.

But for Firefox/Mozilla, anything involving fieldset/legend layout tends to
need special treatment due to the idiotic restrictions placed on legends.