This is how I does it (in Application.CFC):

<!--- Store the root path to application. --->
<cfset THIS.RootPath = GetDirectoryFromPath( GetCurrentTemplatePath() ) />

<!--- Build up an array of custom tag paths. --->
<cfset THIS.CustomTagPathsArray = [
    (THIS.RootPath & "tags/"),
    ...,
    ...,
    ] />

<!--- Set up custom path mappings (comma-separated paths). --->
<cfset THIS.CustomTagPaths = ArrayToList( THIS.CustomTagPathsArray ) />

I don't see any difference. Maybe trying this and see if it works for you. I
took this out of a *working* demo.